Monday, July 31, 2017

How Time Passes



             If I were to be honest, I would have to tell you that I am absolutely in awe of how quickly time passes. I still remember Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw, who hold multiple Phds, and their discussions of life extension on the Merv Griffin Show when I was a teen. I followed some of their recommendations, and I must say, it has worked in terms of keeping me fairly healthy, energetic and youthful. It has not slowed the passage of time though.

            In the early 1980s, before I left NJ, I was a young RN and I made many friends at what is now the Robert Woods Johnson Medical Center, which is also the teaching hospital of Rutgers Medical School.  I had many friends who came from all over the world, both men and women who had come to do a fellowship or a residency. What I remember most is their senses of humor. So many of them were very funny and this kept me on my toes.

            This week I learned that one of my dear friends from those days has died. Without naming him, I would like to say he was one of the kindest people to both his patients and to all the staff. He loved nice cars and I remember well his Lotus Elite.  His obituary said that the love of his life had been his young grandchildren.

              How does this happen ?  Yes, I moved away, married, had five children, developed several careers, built a couple of farms, sent children to college and stood in awe as they graduated and built homes or businesses, but I have just gotten started. I have just cleared my schedule enough to be able to achieve some of the things I really want to do.

             How can it be that some of the kindest and funniest friends I have known have been called home already ?   Perhaps it is no longer time to be patient. Perhaps it's time to achieve the things we wish to, while we still can.  By the way, my friend, if you are reading my post from the great beyond, I have only one grandson, and I quite agree with you on how wonderful they are.



4 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. I know you live your words, and love reading your wise take on life. Dad says if we think time passes swiftly now..."Just wait until you're MY age! (97)". So I have learned not to grouse about my age and to get just on with it...being retired has given me a lot more time to do what I love, and after a life of thinking that what I would love would be to travel and learn as many languages as possible, instead I am loving hanging out near home and being with my family and animals. After all those years of half the year leaving home in the dark and coming home in the dark, getting to hang around home is divine!!! And I love doing critter chores...who woulda thunk it! If I don't have any chores to do, I start missing them. Even cleaning those stinky horse feet. I am so sorry that one of your mentors is gone so soon. He will live on in the memories of all he touched, and also in his grandkids' memories, who will pass those memories on tot here grandkids, an on and on. I am so pleased that you are blessed with one lovely grandson...what a sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad you are finding so many things to do as the time passes.....fortunately, so am I.

      Delete
  2. Ooops! Sorry for those typos at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I am quite adept a typos. I notice them in the fraction of a second just after I have hit "send".

      Delete