Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Goodnight Nanci Griffith

            


     I try to acknowledge the passings of people whose art, whose thinking or whose music has touched me, and who have made my own time here on the big blue ball a little softer or a bit more enjoyable. As people in the flesh suits we don't live forever, but sometimes our art, our music or our influence lives longer than we inhabit the flesh suit itself.   Once in awhile, I miss hearing about what would have been a pivotal passing for me, and I hope for you too.

                 Texas born Nanci Griffith was singing professionally, playing guitar and writing songs from age twelve onward, and it showed if you watched her perform as an adult. Every intonation, every inflection,  every movement, was professional and deliberate, all while she appeared to be completely natural and comfortable, as if you had stopped by after work to visit a friend.  Her songwriting was perfect. It was relatable to the many, and yet the work of a poetess, as well. She was good at blending worlds. Listening to her, you might wonder if she were a folk singer, or a country singer, and yet she called what she did rockabilly.

                 She toured with folk, rock, and even Irish music royalty. She received a grammy and numerous awards and was inducted to Halls of Fame, and yet she was quiet, just making her own music. I learned last evening, that Nanci Griffith died in August of 2021, and that I hadn't heard a word. I hate it when I miss hearing about a passing that would have moved me, or reminded me that time on the big blue ball is passing very fast for us all.  Despite the fact that Nanci Griffith survived both breast and thyroid cancer in the 1990s, her passing is said to have been of natural causes. She was 68.

                  If you get a chance today, and in the future, please listed to some of her works. Her songwriting and performances were nothing short of amazing.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3AP6Ee7SFY

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cazUqIIEKb4

 

and with friends

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORMUqhofLGw

 

 

 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment